The Importance of Uninsured Motorist Coverage

In a perfect world, all drivers on the road would have complete auto insurance, drive safely and abide by all traffic rules. Of course, this is far from the reality, as the Insurance Research Council (IRC) estimates that 1 in 7 drivers regularly operate a vehicle without auto insurance. This is a scary truth, especially in the event that you are involved in an accident with an uninsured driver. As a result, many states, including Massachusetts, now require Uninsured Motorist Coverage when purchasing an auto insurance policy.  Rhode Island does not.

What is Uninsured Motorist Bodily Injury Coverage?

Uninsured Motorist Coverage helps you and any passengers cover expenses, including medical bills, pain and suffering and lost wages (due to being injured and missing work) when involved in an accident with an uninsured driver, by a hit-and-run auto, as a pedestrian or if you find yourself a passenger in a vehicle without auto insurance.

What is Uninsured Motorist Property Damage Coverage?

Uninsured Motorist Property Damage Coverage covers damage sustained to your vehicle and protects any other property when involved in an accident with an uninsured driver or by a hit-and-run auto.  Examples of protected property other than your vehicle include your home and other components of your property (i.e. fence, mailbox) as well as personal items such as cell phones and electronic devices that were damaged in accident.

What can I do to fully protect myself and property?

This is merely a cursory glance at the two types of Uninsured Motorist Coverage and their value as added layers of coverage. In order to fully understand the requirements and coverage in your state, it’s best to contact your auto insurance provider or local personal injury attorney for more information. If Uninsured Motorist Coverages are available (or required) in your state, it can help save you a lot of money (and stress) in the event that you are involved in an accident with an uninsured or hit-and-run driver.

Contact Us For A Free Consultation

Call 888-777-PAIN or 888-737-6464 to schedule a free, no-obligation consultation

We offer translation services in Spanish, Portuguese, Italian, French and Hmong.

Free Consultation